Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright

Poster: AshesRising Date: Aug 25, 2007 2:50am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

...not really, but the mention of Vivaldi in "Prodigal Town" turned my mind towards another favorite tune:

When I Paint My Masterpiece
Lyrics: Bob Dylan
Music: Bob Dylan

Oh, the streets of Rome are filled with rubble
Ancient footprints are everywhere
Well you can almost think that you're seein' double
On a cold dark night on the Spanish Stairs
Got to hurry on back to my hotel room
Where I've got me a date with Botticelli's niece
She promised she'd be right there with me
When I paint my masterpiece

Oh, the hours I've spent inside the Coliseum
Dodging lions and wastin' time
Oh, those mighty kings of the jungle
I can hardly stand to see 'em
Well, it sure has been a long hard ride (note 1)
Train wheels runnin' through the back of my memory
When I ran on the hilltop following a pack of wild geese
Someday, life will be sweet like a rhapsody (note 2)
When I paint my masterpiece

Sailin' 'round the world in a dirty gondola (note 3)
Oh, to be back in the land of Coca-Cola

I left Rome and landed in Brussels
On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried
Clergymen in uniform and young girls pullin' muscles
Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside (note 4)
Newspapermen eating candy
Had to be held down by big police
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece

Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece
When I paint my masterpiece
[Copyright © 1971 Big Sky Music]

Notes
(1) the original Dylan version is "... long hard climb"
(2) the original Dylan line is "Someday, everything is gonna be smooth like a rhapsody"
(3) these lines are in the Dylan original, but Weir mostly omitted them (but thanks to Chris Cahill and David Stone for pointing out that he did sing them at Buckeye in 1995, and at Cleveland and New York in 1994.)
(4) on the version on "Dozin' At The Knick", Weir simply repeats the line "It sure has been a long hard ride" here

Grateful Dead recordings:
11 Oct 1989 Postcards Of The Hanging
25 Mar 1990 Dozin' At The Knick

Again, thanks to our buddy over here: http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/intro.htm

Also, a warm thanks to David Lemieux at "dead.net" for sharing all the gems to fill the air. Here is a link to a 1993 version of "Althea > When I Paint My Masterpiece" (1993-05-16):
http://www.dead.net/features/tapers-section/may-14-may-20-2007 (scroll down to the last two songs on page)

I've got both "Postcards of the Hanging" and "Dozin' at the Knick" {Jerri1031-dp3 AT yahoo DOT com} --- AshesRising

[Does anybody have any clue as to what's the deal with the lyric: "...young girls pullin' muscles..." If I may suggest one thing: it's too easy to go to the gutter with comments on that lyric. I don't believe in censorship, however, if you want to go there, just try to keep it somewhat clean --- it's still a public forum. I trust you understand; thanks a lot.]

This post was modified by AshesRising on 2007-08-25 09:27:38

This post was modified by AshesRising on 2007-08-25 09:50:28

Poster: Stealz Date: Aug 25, 2007 5:36am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

Hey Ashes! Good to see you here on the forum and thanks again for the discs.

Perhaps I am off on this one, but I've always felt that Dylan was merely continuing to craft and shape a visual image through lyric by writing "young girls pullin' muscles". Not only is Dylan metaphorically "painting a masterpiece" throughout the song but he (in my opinion) is attempting to literally "paint a masterpiece" by way of lyric through his vivid description of what one might find in the European locales mentioned.

As often found in the artwork (on canvas) of men who use the brush rather than the pen, there are many pieces that are merely the artist's visual recreation of a speficic location within a given town or city (eg. Van Gogh's "The Cafe' Terrace on the Place du Forum at Night").

If a leap can be made here I think some further understanding of the lyrics in question can be had. If, in fact, we decide that Dylan is referring not only to "painting a masterpiece" out of life itself but that he is also providing the listener with an audible recreation of both specific and general European locations (as opposed to a brush artist's visual recreation) we can make yet further sense of the line "young girls pullin' muscles".

The leap that will need to be made is in reference to the spelling of the term muscles. A homophone of the word muscles is obviously "mussels". Herein lies the answer to your question Ashes (in my opinion). Dylan is "brushing" his representation of Brussels at the time he mentions "young girls pullin muscles". Along with "clergymen in uniform" and "newspapermen eating candy" it can be inferred that Dylan is using this line to help paint his personal picture of Brussels. Brussels is VERY famous for mussels. Years ago, and still today in fact, it was common for many of the restaurants serving mussels in Brussels (which probably includes upwards of 90-95 percent, kind of like crab cakes in Baltimore) to set up tables on the street sides for the sole intent of selling fresh mussels. Along with this fact, many of the restaurants would/do employ pretty young women as their salesperson of the mussels so as to attract even more attention to their selection of fresh mussels.

If we take these things in to account it seems relatively obvious to me that this is what Dylan is referring to but I have always had trouble with the whole homophone thing. Why would Dylan not just use "mussels" instead of "muscles"? Maybe that's just part of his Masterpiece, i don't know.

Hope this helps serve as a possible answer to your question.

Poster: waynecs Date: Aug 25, 2007 8:36am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

makes sense to me,but I had always assumed it was mussels.

Poster: AshesRising Date: Aug 25, 2007 11:00am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

Stealz: Thank you for both the historical background and your insight into the many levels of the canvas (seen and unseen).

Kinda weird synchronicity: as I walked along the shore this morning listening to the ocean growl I wondered if Dylan was employing the "play on words" technique ("mussels" rather than "muscles") Check this out: the etymology of "mussel" (from Merriam-Webster):
Middle English "muscle," from Old English "muscelle," from Vulgar Latin "*muscula," from Latin "musculus" muscle, mussel

Stealz, another example possibly (probably??? - that's the great thing about this stuff, isn' it, never knowing the lyricist's intent....or lack thereof?) Anyway, another example that appears to be in line with your interpretation of a lyricist simultaneously "painting" both literally (i.e., a specific time and space) as well as metaphorically on the broader expanse of life itself occurs within "Mission in the Rain." (I refer to the technique as a "play on words," since I don't know how to use the word "homophone" properly): one month ago (July 25) it was brought to the Forum's attention by "jackstraw66" and "bluedevil." I'll paste it below, however I first want to thank you for taking the time to write such a thought-full and thought-provoking post.

Your post, Stealz, goes beyond just the specific lyric and song that prompted my inquiry --- your post opens many windows and doorways and I am grateful for the inspiration. This evening's stroll along the shore will add lots of color and texture to my canvas. Thank You.

--- AshesRising

Here is the text regarding "Mission in the Rain" mentioned above:
from Dodd's Annotated Lyrics of the Dead here: http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/mission.html

bells
This note from a reader: